Who pays for care homes?

Those living with dementia or with loved ones with the condition will undoubtedly be aware that a move to a care home may one day become necessary. Though this may seem some time off or even something you’ve not yet considered, it remains the case that, as the effects of dementia become more severe, the need for professional care is essential. Of course, some may be able to remain in their own home and take advantage of home care, but for others, a residential solution will be required.

This leads us on to one of the main concerns among individuals and families dealing with dementia: the costs and who is responsible for paying. To help you better understand the responsibilities of funding care homes, we at Avante Care & Support are delighted to provide the following information.

Care and financing assessments

Your GP and local authority will arrange for a care assessment to be conducted at the earliest opportunity. This will determine the specific requirements of the individual living with dementia, identifying if and when a move into a residential care home will be required. This takes into account the severity of the symptoms and whether or not an individual will be safe to remain in their home.

Following this, a financial assessment will be the next stage of the process. As part of the government’s Care Act 2014, all individuals with dementia will be eligible for support when it comes to financing care – however, any support will first have to take into account your own circumstances. This means test will assess your income and outgoings, as well as any assets held in your name – specifically savings and property.

Assessment results

Should you be found to have assets valued in excess of £23,250 – a figure known as the upper capital limit – you will be required to fund any care support you need privately. Such a scenario can cause stress and require careful management, with property sales and other such hurdles to overcome. However, private care options are plentiful and enable you to enjoy more freedom about selecting a suitable care home. And, once the value of your assets drops below the upper capital limit, you will be eligible to seek support from your local authority.

Those with assets below the £23,250 figure, and above the lower capital limit of £14,250, will receive local authority funding for their care home but also be expected to contribute £1 per week for every £250 you have between these limits. Those with under £14,250, meanwhile, will also receive funding but be expected to contribute what they can afford from income above £189 per week.

Find added support

It can be difficult and worrisome when tackling funding for care home needs. Not only do you need to understand the complexities around eligibility and asset values, but there’s the stress and major life change that comes from moving out of your home and into a care facility. Making preparations well in advance will help make this transition simpler and less stressful, while seeking out the support of experienced experts will undoubtedly benefit you.

Whether discussing with your local authority or your GP, or even liaising with charitable organisations such as Dementia UK, there are plenty of options available in order to help you find the ideal solution. You can also liaise with the team at Avante Care & Support today to learn more about the care home support we can provide.

You may also like…

Care at Home

As we age, the support needed to complete everyday tasks tends to increase. While some individuals feel more secure...

Send this to a friend