Avante Care & Support is a Registered Charity supporting over 1000 older people through our registered nursing and dementia care homes and home care services.
We are proud to be a well-established not for profit organisation, with an experienced and skilled workforce. We are committed to making a positive difference to both individuals and their loved ones through individualised support and guidance.
We are looking for a Kitchen Assistant to join our residential care home, Chaucer House in Canterbury.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare vegetables, fruit, etc.
- Assist in laying tables and serving food, under the direction of the Cook/Assistant Cook and in clearing up afterwards.
- To clean kitchen equipment, utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- Clean food stores and other areas, ensuring stock rotation where applicable.
- Maintain kitchen and dining room floors, walls and surfaces in a clean and hygienic manner.
- Comply with catering regulations in respect of hygiene and Health and Safety procedures.
- Attend training sessions/courses necessary in the performance of these duties.
- Planning menus by involving residents, care service staff and dietician (where necessary).
- Ensuring that meals have a high nutritional value.
- Ensuring that food is prepared in clean and safe conditions, free from dirt, germs, insects, vermin, odour, etc.
- Ensuring that catering staff work within the regulations stipulated in “Hygiene (General) Regulations 1970”, “The Food Act 1984” and “The Food Safety Act 1990”.
- Promote Avante Care and Support’s Equal Opportunities Policy statement, ensuring an awareness of differing ethnic, social and cultural backgrounds.
- Comply with the Health and Safety and fire regulations
** All relevant Work Instructions will be issued to the post holder.
This job description is provided to assist the post holder to know what his/her duties are. These duties may be amended or added to from time to time following consultation with the post holder, without change to the level of responsibility appropriate to the post and the salary, in order to provide the best service and assist with the smooth running of the home.
- Have a sympathetic understanding of the needs of dependent older people.
- Enthusiasm and skill for cooking
- Working as a part of team
- A City and Guilds or equivalent qualification.
- Have a good understanding of different cultural and ethnic traditions with regard to catering.
- Environmental Health Certificate in Food Hygiene
If the above sounds like you, join now and benefit from;
- DBS (at no cost to yourself)
- Pension Contributions
- Free Uniform
- Refer a Friend bonus scheme
- Training & Development Opportunities
- 24/7 access to virtual GP’s, Physiotherapy and counselling with our well-being service
- Employee of the Month & Sparkle Awards
- Flexible working patterns
- Discount at over 800 retailers
- A friendly, supportive, team working environment
Our positions are subject to Enhanced DBS Disclosures which will be completed upon successful application. All applications will be dealt with on an individual basis in accordance with our policy and organisational requirements.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Please note: If you are shortlisted, you will be invited to attend an interview. We regret to inform you that due to the high volumes of applicants, we do not write to candidates who are unsuccessful at the shortlisting stage. In the meantime, we would like to thank you for the interest you have shown in Avante Care & Support.
Apply for this position
To apply for this position please complete the online application form below.