Incredible Me is a pilot programme delivered over 10 sessions which has been specifically developed by Young Healthy Minds in collaboration with the NHS and the Incredible Years parenting team for children aged 4-11 with a pre and post-diagnosis of ASD and/or ADHD, as well as those children who are unable to manage their behaviour generally in a safe way. These children can have particular difficulty in understanding and controlling their emotions, especially when those emotions are negative. This practical programme provides some simple strategies to:-
- Help them to decrease negative feelings and increase positive feelings in their daily life.
- Help them to identify situations that make them anxious and learn how to perceive the situation differently, thus reducing their level of anger.
- Support them to recognise connections between thinking and feeling so that they are able identify the physiological effects of different emotions on their body.
- Focus on their positive attributes and the things that make them happy.
As the children’s ability to regulate their emotions increases so will their self-esteem be raised, which will contribute to their overall feeling of emotional well-being.
In order to run the sessions effectively there are a number of resources that we need. If any of them are unwanted items that you have we’d be very grateful if you could donate them to the Incredible Me programme.
- Toys/ objects that have interesting textures/ sounds/colours
- Plastic/toy tools e.g. wrench, screwdrivers, wooden spoon, paintbrush
- Pictures of animals, flowers, TV characters, sports, facial expressions
- Skipping ropes, soft balls
- CDs of calming music
- Hats, scarves and bags for role play
If you would like to donate any of these items please leave them on my desk (1st floor Head Office)
Many thanks in anticipation.